Woodwork projects: The illustration shows a really handy music and bookstand, which can also be used at the bedside as a reading stand. the subsequent list of fabric are required for construction:
• 1 standard, 1-1/8 by 1-1/8 by 37 in., S-4-S.
• 1 horizontal, 1-1/8 by 1-1/8 by 15 in., S-4-S.
• 1 crosspiece, 1-1/8 by 1-1/8 by 14 in., S-4-S.
• 1 crosspiece, 1-1/8 by 1-1/8 by 12 in., S-4-S.
• 2 braces, 1-1/8 by 1-1/8 by 9 in., S-4-S.
• 1 board, 1/2 by 8 by 13 in., S-2-S.
• 4 blocks, 1-1/8 in. square.
• 2 gauge clamps.
• 1 strip, 1/2 by 1 by 13 in., S-2-S.
• 8 round-head brass screws.
• 1 brass rod, 1/4 in. in diameter and 12 in, long.
• 1 brass piece, 1/4 by 3/4 by 10 in.
Cut a tenon on the lower end of the upright and make a mortise within the center of the long crosspiece to receive the tenon. The horizontal has tenons cut on both ends which fit into mortises cut within the sides of both crosspieces.
The upper corners on the ends of both crosspieces are cut sloping on a 45-deg. angle. The blocks for the feet are attached to the under side and at the tip on each crosspiece with screws and hot glue, the screw heads being sunk in order that they’re going to not catch on carpets or mar the ground. The braces are attached with round-head screws after they’re cut on each end to suit the quality and crosspiece.
The woodwork projects plan book rest is cut from the board. The openings are made by sawing the pieces out with a carpenter’s saw, and therefore the edges are dressed up with a pointy chisel. The lip strip is then glued to the lower fringe of the board.
One end of the board is now fitted into a slot cut in one in all the gauge clamps. The slot must be cut at the correct angle to present the specified slope to the book rest. The gauge clamps are joined with two small square strips of oak as shown.
The small rod brace is flattened at both ends and a hole drilled in each to lock it with screws as shown. The brass strip is bent within the middle at right angles and drilled to receive screws for fastening it within the corner of the upright and horizontal pieces.